Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

My word for 2014 - Intent.

So, I realize that I'm about 50 days late actually coming up with and writing down my "word of the year". I just had such a hard time wrapping my head around what I actually wanted it to be, what I wanted this year to convey.

Some people pick a word, every year, that reflects the type of improvement, change, or philosophy they wish to embrace for the next 365 days. For some, I would imagine this is easy. When scouring the internet and reading other blogs I found a slew of words that one would expect to find when choosing a word of the year, like "simplicity" or "peace" or "love" but, none of those captured the feeling that I was really vying for this year.

I knew what I was aiming for, I just didn't have a name for it yet. I'm striving to be more present, more mindful. To live in each day without worrying about yesterday or tomorrow. But, it was more than that. I needed more than to just live in the moment. I had the overwhelming feeling that I needed to have more purpose, or to give the actions and tasks of my daily life more thought. Lately, I feel as though I zoom through life so quickly, or multitask the ever-living crap out of my day so much, that I don't even realize what I'm doing half the time. It's literally the process of going from one thing to the next, to the next, to the next, until I look up 5 hours later and think, "what just happened?" Did I really give my best shot at the study I was writing? Was I really listening and contributing in that conversation I had? Did I really just spend an hour on Google looking at shoes for Kate?

The more I thought about this, the more I knew that this was the goal for 2014. That living with an aim or purpose was what I needed to be working on. Even if it was just focusing on everyday tasks at hand. I needed to live with intention. 

I'm still working on it. Sometimes I have to repeat the word over and over in my head like a meditation to stay focused, but so far so good. I can look back on most of my days now and not only remember what I've done, and know that each action was a product of my intention. 


Did you choose a word to live by for 2014?

0 comments:

Post a Comment